Photo Credit: Brandi Pettijohn
Education and Teacher Philosophy
Khalilah Ali received her Ph.D in Educational Studies with a focus on Literacy, Pedagogy, and Culture from Emory University, M.Ed. in Middle and Secondary Instruction and B.A. in Literature and African Studies from Georgia State University. Realizing that education can come from inside and outside the classroom, she is dedicated to ensuring that her students’ education comes in a multitude of forms.
Dr. Ali’s primary interest is multicultural education, but Khalilah has a particular interest in mentoring youth. The self-proclaimed culture worker has worked with NSAA, from the Adinkra symbol representing excellence of workmanship.
Dr. Ali integrates arts and activism in the form of student centered collaborative projects, wherein students see the impact of the projects they create.
As a child of the hip-hop generation and conscious lyricist, artist-educator-actvist Khalilah Ali works with poets, musicians and emcees in projects designed to expose positive hip-hop to a wider audience. Her interest in postcolonial and feminist studies allows her to envision a world that deals with the effects of hegemony and how dealing with that inequity can help devise steps to afford the world’s children an equal playing field.
- Assistant Professor English & English Education, Clayton State University
- Founding Faculty and English Department Head, Charles R Drew Senior Academy
- 11th Grade American Literature, Spalding High School
- Assistant Professor Learning Support English and Reading, Middle Georgia College
- Adjunct Instructor of Freshman Composition, Georgia Gwinnett College
- Summer Program Director for a Youth Arts and Social Justice Program in the Peoplestown Community of Atlanta
- Instructor Diversity and Multicultural Education, Emory University
- Assistant Program Coordinator, Whitefoord Community Center’s Bike Rite
- Literature, Magnet, Gifted and Advanced, and English Language Arts (ELA) teacher in Dekalb County, Georgia
- Tutor and Tutor coordinator GSU’s Post Secondary Readiness Enrichment program (PREP)
- Reading and Math Instructor with KUMON USA
- Research Assistant University of Rhode Island
- Pre-service Teacher Supervisor and Tutor Experience Coordinator Emory University
Awards and Fellowships
- Ford Fellowship
- Mellon Minority Undergraduate Fellowship
- Laney Graduate Fellowship, Emory University Division of Educational Studies
“Until the lions have their own historian, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.” ~ Kenyan Proverb